[Pgpool-general] Parallel SELECT doesn't work

Alessandro Candini candini at meeo.it
Fri Jan 28 08:34:34 UTC 2011

Hi. I use postgresql-9.0.2 and pgpool-II-3.0.1.
Following the tutorial, I have set up this configuration:
# system DB info
system_db_hostname = '192.168.0.37'
system_db_port = 5433
system_db_dbname = 'pgpool'
system_db_schema = 'pgpool_catalog'
system_db_user = 'pgpool'
system_db_password = ''

backend_hostname0 = '192.168.0.37'
backend_port0 = 5433
backend_weight0 = 1
backend_data_directory0 = '/home/database/9.0.2/db_0/data'

backend_hostname1 = '192.168.0.37'
backend_port1 = 5434
backend_weight1 = 1
backend_data_directory1 = '/home/database/9.0.2/db_1/data'

So, I have splitted the same database into 2 pieces where every piece is hold
by a difference istance of the server.
I have put "manually" every piece inside postgres istance, so without defining
any distribution rule, because my goal at the moment is just a performance test
on SELECT query.

No errors are reported into pgpool.log, but if I perform a query like:
psql -p 9999 -d my_splitted_db -h localhost -U user -c "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
my_table;"
It retrieves only a part of the data expected, the part on the first istance of
the db.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Alessandro