[Pgpool-general] pgpool ii questions

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jan 27 02:59:47 UTC 2011

> I'm new to pgpool as well as to postgresql.
> I'm going to try master-master replication with pgpool II 3, so I have
> several questions:

I'm not sure what you mean master-master replication and I assume you
are talking about replication mode of pgpool-II.

> 1. If I use 3 or more PostreSQL master nodes will the third node
> during online recovery be able to serve clients while first and second
> are syncing?

During the first stage, yes.

> 2. If I use rsync (online recovery with rsync) to syncronize nodes
> during online recovery should I switch off PostgreSQL daemon on the
> source and destination nodes? And if no, what does the
> pgpool_remote_start actually do?

I'm not sure what you mean by "PostgreSQL daemon" but...  You need to
stop postmaster of the destination node. Also it's better to stop
autovacuum daemon on the source node.