[Pgpool-general] pgpool ii multimaster online recovery

Sergey V. Arlashin s.arlashin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:18:40 UTC 2011

Hi!
I'm trying to implement online recovery with multimaster replication.
I read pgpool manual here
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html and
as far as I understood during both 1st and 2nd stages of recovery
neither source PostgreSQL server nor destination server are not shut
down. Is it safe to do syncronization in such a way?
I'm concerned a bit. I've read the following on PostgreSQL site:

There are two restrictions, however, which make this method impractical,
or at least inferior to the pg_dump method:

   1.

      The database server /must/ be shut down in order to get a usable
      backup. Half-way measures such as disallowing all connections will
      /not/ work (in part because tar and similar tools do not take an
      atomic snapshot of the state of the file system, but also because
      of internal buffering within the server). Information about
      stopping the server can be found in Section 17.5
      <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/server-shutdown.html>.
      Needless to say that you also need to shut down the server before
      restoring the data.

--------
WBR, Sergey.