[Pgpool-general] streaming replication on two different servers

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Jan 18 07:02:40 UTC 2011

> Has anybody tried installing streaming replication mentioned in the URL :
> http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/contrib_docs/simple_sr_setting/index.html
>  on
> two different postgresql db servers?  The tutorial assumes the replication
> is done on the same server. I have got pgpool admin running already on one
> one server. However, using the same tutorial I tried configuring for two db
> servers by changing few settings on pgpool.conf on  the admin page and the
> replication doesnt seem to happen. Can someone please tell me the main
> highlights of the changes on configuration settings required as compared to
> the  above tutorial, to get it working on two different servers?

What immediately comes to my mind is "trigger file". The trigger file
needs to be visibile to standby PostgreSQL. Failover.sh needs to be
changed so that it creates the trigger file on the appropreate server,
maybe using ssh or some such.

I'm going to write a new version of tutrial suitable for
the case pgpool-II/Primary/Standby are on separate servers.