[Pgpool-general] connections not pooling

Johnny Tan johnnydtan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:55:16 UTC 2011

> I guess the disconnected client won't be happy about that :) pgPool is
> really usefull when you have lots of small sessions. If you only have
> some long connections, then pgpool pooling mode won't be of any use.
> Perhaps the other modes, but not the pooling one. And in this case, you
> should better look at pgBouncer and its transaction or query pooling
> mode.

Thanks Guillaume. It looks like pgBouncer's transaction pooling is
actually what we need since our app persists connections but is idle
most of the time. Let me check that out.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to have the same feature set as
pgpool. So, down the road, when we want to do some of the other
things, we will have decide between the two.

johnny