[Pgpool-general] Validating and killing idle connections

apalazon at gmail.com apalazon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 09:11:22 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I have a problem with a firewall which sits between my java web apps and
postgresql. That firewall kills idle postgresql connections each hour, so if
my web app is inactive for an hour, when the app tries to reconnect, it
receives an exception, because the jdbc application does not know that the
connection have been killed.

The problem is well known and has been documented. There are solutions for
ir for some java application pools (Example for DBCP:
http://sacharya.com/grails-dbcp-stale-connections/). The basis of the
solution is that the connection pool itself closes idle connections after 30
minutes, and validates connections before using them.

However, we have an app which uses one non standard connection pool, which
will be very hard to change.

So I'm evaluating pgpool-ii, to act as a proxy between the java apps and
postgresql. The configuration will be like this:

Java apps (localhost) -> pgpool-ii (localhost) -> Only 1 Remote posgresql
Server

My question is how pgpool-ii works with the remote posgresql server. Are
there some settings for closing and validating connections between pgpool-ii
and postgresql? Or is pgpool-ii capable to retry queries when the connection
is dropped, and without making the java apps failing?

Thank you, best regards,