[Pgpool-general] [3.0.3] pg_md5 limited to current uid ?

Sékine Coulibaly scoulibaly at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:25:38 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Let's assume my backends are Linux boxes. On them only root and postgres
users are defined (at OS level). In Postgres server, I defined an
additionnal user "rouser", so that my Postgres base has 2 users : postgres
and rouser.

In my understanding, I should be able to do the following to access
pgpool-test database logging with that user :

psql -p 9999 pgpool-test -U rouser

Unfortunately, the authentication fails, because my pool_passwd doesn't
include a line like this :

rouser:md5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Since XXXXXXXXXXXX is not equal to MD5(password), does anyone have a trick ?
I Wish I need not create a "rouser" Linux user for this, nor use postgres
user.

The pg_md5.c code shows :

	pw = getpwuid(getuid());

	pg_md5_encrypt(password, pw->pw_name, strlen(pw->pw_name), md5);

Which is not very encouraging...

Thank you !

Sekine