[Pgpool-general] Question about binary install of pgpool-II

ZuLu nenominal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:22:08 UTC 2011

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at ...> writes:

> > Hello,
> > I have the following configuration in my development environment:
> >
> > 1. CentOs machine with pgpool-II installed from these binaries
> > - pgpool-II-90-3.0.1-1.fhel5.x86_64.rpm
> > - pgpool-II-90-devel-3.0.1-1.fhel5.x86_64.rpm
> >
> > 2. CentOS machine with PostgreSQL 9.0.2 installed
> >
> > 3. CentOS machine with PostgreSQL 9.0.2 installed
> >
> > So, I currently have pgpool configured to see the two remote database
servers.
> > And I was able to create a database from pgpool and see it replicate to the
> > remote servers.
> >
> > I also tested a scenario where I took down the master node and watched (via
the
> > log file) how pgpool made the remaining node the master. So I feel the fail-
over
> > functionality is working as expected.
> >
> > However, I'm having trouble understanding what is required to configure
pgpool
> > and the remote database servers to utilize replication and online recovery.
> > After reading the user manual, tutorial and other sources, it seems I need
> > install pgpool-regclass.sql and pgpool-recovery.sql. I can't execute the
first
> > one on machine 1 as it complains that there is no such file or directory as
> > $libdir/pgpool-regclass...I wonder if because I used the binary installs and
did
> > not build it from source, I may not have certain environment variables set?
> >
> > Also, do I still follow all the online recovery instructions found at
> > http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html#online-
recovery
> > ? Or, do I tweak them in any way because I did not install from source?
>
> You need to tweak the rpm binary. But if you are novice, that would be
> hard I guess. I suspect it's rather easy to install from the source
> code.
>
> > Lastly, when the instructions say to execute psql commands with *.sql files,
is
> > it assumed that this is on the machine where PostgresQL is installed or
where
> > pgpool is installed?
>
> PostgreSQL.
>
> > Thank you very much in advance for any help. I'm a Unix novice and new to
pgpool.

> > Vanessa Pao

I'm having the exact problem! For few days now I'm trying to set an env with a
pgpool and 2 db nodes. Everything works as expected except recovery. I also
tried to compile from source Pgpool. Everything worked out in the end except
when I tried to compile de sources from sql folder.

I'm using this repository for both Postgresql and Pgpool-II:
http://yum.pgrpms.org/reporpms/repoview/letter_p.group.html

On all machines I have Centos 5.6 x64 as OS.

Is there any way to build a src.rpm package and then let the user just to
rebuild it on his machine? I'm not an expert as well but I like the software and
I want to implement it but I'm kinda stuck :(!