[Pgpool-general] failover done, now need help in online recovery

Sandeep Thakkar sandeeptt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 09:35:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

Failover:
I have one Master (PG9.0), one Standby (PG9.0) and one instance of pgpool-II
(3.0.3) on the same box. I created a recovery.conf in the Standby and did all
the other required settings in pgool.conf and postgresql.conf. To mimic the
failover scenario, I killed the Master server, and found that failover process
started successfully. Standby stops in recovering mode, and is promoted to
primary (read-write). I could even execute write query on Standby (new Primary)
now.

Online recovery:
To take it forward, I want to bring my old primary up and once up, it should
behave as a Standby (read only).  One step I know of is to execute the
basebackup.sh on the new Primary, which will copy it's base directory to the old
primary's data directory. Then what? I do not have the recovery.conf on the old
primary yet. Do I need to keep it there? What else do I need to do?

Thanks