[Pgpool-general] Two geographic instances

Marco listaddr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:03:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've been tasked with setting up a website running at two different
geographic locations. Both locations should look the same to users, so the
problem is keeping the database (postgres) consistent. I'm expecting a
minority of the accesses to be writes, and the rest reads.

So I thought about doing something like this: have a postgres database at
each site. On top of that, a pgpool instance at each site configured to use
the local postgres and the remote pgpool as backends. Writes would go to the
local postgres, and to the remote pgpool (synchronously; I can probably
afford the cost as writes will be few).

Would this work technically? Would this provide consistency between the two
databases?

I've never used pgpool before, so I may be uttering nonsense (let me know if
that's the case). Thanks for any help.