[Pgpool-general] configure replication with pgpool installed on separate host

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Oct 20 23:36:21 UTC 2010

Welcome to pgpool world:-)

> Fairly new to pgpool and trying to get replication working with pgpool
> installed on a separate host.   My setup consists of two identical
> database systems (hostname0:wenders and hostname1:bioinfodb) and a
> pgpool on a separate system (kaya1).  Running postgres-8.4.3 on all
> systems, and pgpoolII-3 on the pgpool head node.  pgpool is running
> with
> the -d option and pgpool.conf info below.   Ports 5432, 9999, and 9898
> are open on all systems.
>
> When I test replication, it will only work if I create databases from
> the pgpool head node and then replicates to both database systems.
> What I want to have happen is to create a database on the primary
> server
> and have it replicate to the secondary server.
> Is this possible, or do I need to install pgpool on one of database
> servers to get it work the way I want?

Pgpool is kind of proxy server. That means to get your databases
replicated, you need to send *all* SQL to pgpool. I don't know why you
do something like on your primary server wenders:

createdb -p 9999 -h kaya1 ...

But if you prefer not to use -h option on wenders, you could start
second pgpool server on wenders. In this case the pgpool.conf file
must be identical to the one on kaya1.

Hope this helps.