[Pgpool-general] configure replication with pgpool installed on separate host

Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick mfitzpat at bu.edu
Wed Oct 20 19:18:02 UTC 2010

Fairly new to pgpool and trying to get replication working with pgpool
installed on a separate host.   My setup consists of two identical
database systems (hostname0:wenders and hostname1:bioinfodb) and a
pgpool on a separate system (kaya1).  Running postgres-8.4.3 on all
systems, and pgpoolII-3 on the pgpool head node.  pgpool is running with
the -d option and pgpool.conf info below.   Ports 5432, 9999, and 9898
are open on all systems.

When I test replication, it will only work if I create databases from
the pgpool head node and then replicates to both database systems.
What I want to have happen is to create a database on the primary server
and have it replicate to the secondary server.
Is this possible, or do I need to install pgpool on one of database
servers to get it work the way I want?

I believe I have an error in my configuration, etc. or my understanding
of how replication works with when pgpool is installed on a separate host.

primary server (wenders):
bash-3.2$ createdb -p 9999 bench_replication
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory

pgpool head node(kaya1):
bash-3.2$ createdb -p 9999 bench_replication
replicates to both primary and secondary servers

Here is the relevant pgpool.conf info:
   listen_addresses = '*'
port = 9999
pcp_port = 9898
replication_mode = true
load_balance_mode = false
reset_query_list = 'ABORT; DISCARD ALL'
failover_command = 'echo host:%h, new master id:%m, old master id%M >
/usr/local/pgpoolII/log/failover.log'
failback_command = 'echo host:%h, new master id:%m, old master id:%M >
/usr/local/pgpoolII/log/failback.log'
pgpool2_hostname = 'kaya1'
system_db_hostname = 'localhost'
system_db_port = 5432
system_db_dbname = 'pgpool'
system_db_schema = 'pgpool_catalog'
system_db_user = 'pgpool'
system_db_password = ''
backend_hostname0 = 'wenders'
backend_port0 = 5432
backend_weight0 = 1
backend_data_directory0 = '/database/pgsql/data'
backend_hostname1 = 'bioinfodb'
backend_port1 = 5432
backend_weight1 = 1
backend_data_directory1 = '/database/pgsql/data'
enable_pool_hba = false

--
Thanks
Mary Ellen