[Pgpool-general] can't connect : cannot get session context

Asaf asaf at lingnu.com
Wed Oct 20 13:13:12 UTC 2010

  On 10/20/2010 07:28 AM, Toshihiro Kitagawa wrote:

>> no, my pg is 9.0, it was login issue, once I set pg_hba.conf to "trust"
>> local connections, it works.
>> md5 or ident authentication doesn't seem to work
> I was able to reproduce the state that cannot connect with the error
> in the following conditions with ApacheBench.
>
>    PostgreSQL        pgpool-II
>    max_connections<  num_init_children * max_pool
>
> These variables should set it as follows.
>
>    PostgreSQL         pgpool-II
>    max_connections>= num_init_children * max_pool
>
> Will you confirm the max_connections setting of all backends?

currently I don't see the issue anymore (maybe because of the 3.0.1
upgrade),
however the default settings are:

postgresql 9.0 from pgrpms:
max_connections = 100

pgpool 3.0.1:
num_init_children = 32
max_pool = 4

obviously 32*4 < 100 which is not good
I'd think that the defaults should be adjusted appropriately .
(I never had to edit those settings before, normally I wouldn't touch them)

BTW : can you explain a little on the max_pool variable and its
implications ?

--
Asaf Ohaion
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.