[Pgpool-general] Finer control over master slave mode.

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sun Oct 17 22:50:32 UTC 2010

> I'd like to distribute a read heavy web application accross multiple data centers using streaming replication and pgpool in master slave mode. When I tried to get this working pgpool seemed to load balance my reads across master and slave even with the masters backend_weight set to 0. My question is,  is it possible to configure pgpool to use a master as "write only" and read only from slaves? I can post any needed config info as requested.

Probably the reason why pgpool continues to read from master even its
weight is 0 is, it needs to access PostgreSQL system catalogs for
internal use(for example we need to send SELECT to master if its a
temporary table. To know if its a temporary table or not, we need to
access system catalog of master).

Bottom line is, you cannot make master 100% write only.