[Pgpool-general] Why if standby goes down the INSERT query fails?

Alessandro Candini candini at meeo.it
Thu Nov 25 08:02:03 UTC 2010

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at ...> writes:

> > No ideas? I think it should be a fundamental feature of pgpoool...
>
> What if network cable pulled out between pgpool and standby? TCP
> connection between pgpool and standby will be hang in the kernel until
> TCP keep alive timeout occurs(it will take 2 hours typically).  If you
> want to recover from the state before 2 hours passes, the only way is
> killing and restarting pgpool children processes...
>
> I don't think this usecase if specific to pgpool-II.
> Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

So you're saying that it is a normal behaviour. It is strange to me, because I
was expected not to stop my ingestions if the standby goes down.
I was expected that pgpool recognize that it is down, detach it correctly with
my failover script, but continue to insert stuff inside the primary in a
trasparent way for the user.

So I have to stop everything anyway, re-synchronize manually the servers,
restart and repeat my ingestion...

It is a little bit tricky for a production system...