[Pgpool-general] pgpool locking

Daniel.Crespo at l-3com.com Daniel.Crespo at l-3com.com
Mon Feb 8 19:31:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm using pgpool 2.2.2. and wanted to know if the following is expected
behavior.

Configuration:

+---------------------------------+

| (Server A)                      |

| App ---> pgpool -----> backend0 |

+----------------\----------------+

                  \

+------------------\--------------+

| (Server B)        \             |

|                    `-> backend1 |

+---------------------------------+

Test:

1. Only Server A is running. Server B is down.

2. Start pgpool.

3. Try connecting to pgpool (e.g. pgsql -p 9999). At this point, client
(psql) holds. I think it's at TCP level. However, I changed the tcp
timeout values to be few minutes/seconds.

4. After the timeout, pgpool is then unlocked and allow connections.

I can see pgpool doing this by design. I just wanted to know if it's
this way and if would be possible to have pgpool just degenerate any
backend that is not available within some configurable period of time.

Regards,

Daniel