[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II load balancing question

Chris Harrison cnhn at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 9 17:01:26 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I am a newbie to pgpool and I am trying to grasp how the load-balancing
aspect works.

our set up is a set of three webservers connecting to our pgpool machine
which turns around to three DB servers.

the DB servers are Postgresql 9 set up in streaming replication mode, as
a result we don't do the replication via pgpool. in the end we are
looking to have one master for writes and two read only hot standbys.

we have set the pgpool to use all three servers but we only see
connections to one the master.

is this a ramification of having a very very light load during our
testing phase (aka the master is fast enough that pgpool never looks to
another machine, or should SELECTS be sent via round robin or similar
mechanism?  Is this a result of connection pooling versus load balancing?

Thank You

Chris Harrison						cnhn at ucsd.edu
Systems Administrator					858-822-2025
ISS-EarthKam					www.earthkam.ucsd.edu