[Pgpool-general] Online recovery timeouts

Tevis Money tevis.money at rxhealthcare.org
Thu Apr 15 13:24:48 UTC 2010

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Back in January, there was a discussion on online recovery during load
>> (http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pgpool-general/2010-January/002445.html).
>> While the originator seemed to solve their problem, I'm still
>> experiencing a similar problem with programs (such as pgadmin) which
>> maintain a persistent connection and prevent pgpool from performing
>> recovery.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, why don't you just stop pgadmin if you go into
> online recovery?

In this case I was mostly providing an example (as I recall, you had
asked for confirmation in that original thread as to whether pgadmin
caused the issue). In our particular instance, we're also having the
issue with a Tomcat server which seems to be causing the same problem
even though the connection is supposedly idle. Quitting pgadmin is no
problem for us, but stopping our Tomcat server is a bit more problematic.

>> Are their any options for having pgpool force a client to disconnect,
>> regardless of what the client is doing?
>>

> Currently no. A patch has been proposed for this. I have looked into
> the patch and came to the conclusion that same idea could be
> implemented in more "natural" way. Of course this does not make the
> original idea less valuable at all. Thanks for this.
>
> Pgpool development team are now busy for working on releasing minor
> version up of pgpool-II 2.2 and 2.3 tree. We expect that this will be
> done within one or two weeks and after that we will start 2.4
> development which will include the functionality mentioned above.

That's great to hear. This is a fantastic piece of software, and thank
you to you and the entire pgpool team for your hard work.