[Pgpool-general] client_idle_limit: need clarity

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:32:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

>> Unless I am mistaken, those connections are disconnected (transactions
>> are rolled back). Correct, Tatsuo?
>
> No. client_idle_limit only affects *truely* idle sessions. For SELECT,
> count down won't start until SELECT returns all results (or failed).

I think that makes sense. I have had several online recovery attempts
through the last three months that did not go well and I think that is
because heavy transactions were happening. Therefore, short
transactions finished in time and idle clients were disconnected, but
heavy transactions were still happening when timeout occurred.

Would that be correct, Tatsuo?

>> It should be smaller than recovery_timeout. Default values are 30 secs
>> for client_idle_limit and 90 secs for recovery_timeout.
>
> I believe client_idle_limit does not take effect while in recovery.
> You can use client_idle_limit_in_recovery instead.

Erm, that is what I meant. Lapsus calami due to copy-paste, I think O_o

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"