[Pgpool-general] client_idle_limit: need clarity

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue May 12 00:29:52 UTC 2009

> > WRT the client_idle_limit config option:  the config file comment states
> > "...seconds since the last query has been sent."  What about a long-lived
> > select which takes longer than client_idle_limit seconds to complete?  Would
> > it too be considered "idle" and be disconnected?
>
> Unless I am mistaken, those connections are disconnected (transactions
> are rolled back). Correct, Tatsuo?

No. client_idle_limit only affects *truely* idle sessions. For SELECT,
count down won't start until SELECT returns all results (or failed).

I think the doc should be corrected to "...seconds since the last
query has completed." Will fix.

> It should be smaller than recovery_timeout. Default values are 30 secs
> for client_idle_limit and 90 secs for recovery_timeout.

I believe client_idle_limit does not take effect while in recovery.
You can use client_idle_limit_in_recovery instead.