[Pgpool-general] What are the steps for replicating DB?

Sweta Mulgavker sweta.mulgavker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 07:53:43 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I have a system setup consisting of two machines say 'A' with 'IP-A' and 'B'
as 'IP-B'. Both these machines are running fake... Which is providing a
virtual IP for my machines say  'IP-C'
My current master is that machine which  holds 'IP-C' .

So if machine 'A' has its current IP as 'IP-C' then 'A' is the master and
'B' is the slave.

So current IP of 'A' --> 'IP-C' --> master  and  'B' --> 'IP-B' --> slave.

If machine 'A' goes down due to some reason  then machine 'B' takes up the
fake IP, 'IP-C' and it comes up as the master. Machine 'A' becomes the
slave. i.e.

current IP of 'A' --> 'IP-A' --> slave  and  'B' --> 'IP-C' --> master.

Postgres is running on both the machines.. and the data can be accessed /
modified  only from the current master.

Now, I wish to keep the data on both the machines in sync using Pgpool...
Because if the databases are not in sync then my slave goes down and I have
to keep on taking dump from master and restore on the slave. It is a  live
working server so we cannot afford to loose data.

Hence I want to do some real time replication (if it is possible.. little
delay will be ok  :) )...

How do I configure pgpool to achieve this? Is it possible?

Thankyou in advance.

Regards,
Sweta