[Pgpool-general] PgPool install, Part Deux

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu Jul 9 01:20:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, J. Carlos Muro wrote:

> The meaning of "ready for production environments" somehow (or "some
> much") depends on your requirements.. I don't want to go into deep
> discussion with it as we will find no end. But, we can make the question
> in another direction: is you production environment ready for pgpool? In
> my company we aren't.. yet. We are migrating all databases from a very
> expensive db system to PG*. I have found that we have tables with fields
> "default now()", and in the applications there are inserts sort of
> "insert into table1 values (now())". I have instructed our developers to
> study the possibility of generating dates from the application level.
> Later, we will see how Hibernate behaves with pgpool.. Well, we are
> adapting our environment to work with pgpool. You know, if it finally
> works, we will save lots of money. :)

Now *that* does help ... and I suspect that this may be part of what my
problem was last time ... sounds like the current PgPool-II (without
disparaging it) is more what you build around vs install pre-existing
software onto ... or, at least, not software you don't have access to the
source code for :)

Have to play with this sum ...

Thanks ... again, the above really puts it into perspective ...

----