[Pgpool-general] PgPool install, Part Deux

J. Carlos Muro murojc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 09:58:02 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org>

> Right, but does that mean that the same SELECT will be run on each node
> simultaneously, or only passed to one nodes?  If the former, would kinds
> defeat the point of 'load balancing', but if you read the docs, that is what
> it implies :)

If you are using load balance the answer is that one select goes only to one
of the backends.

Well, considering that I'm running this as a backend to something that will
> be *very* visible to the PostgreSQL community at large (ie. the mailing
> lists), I'd rather would with facts vs "intersting for production
> enviroments" ... your comment almost implies that pgpool isn't even ready
> for production environments yet ... is that the case?

The meaning of "ready for production environments" somehow (or "some much")
depends on your requirements.. I don't want to go into deep discussion with
it as we will find no end. But, we can make the question in another
direction: is you production environment ready for pgpool?
In my company we aren't.. yet. We are migrating all databases from a very
expensive db system to PG*. I have found that we have tables with fields
"default now()", and in the applications there are inserts sort of "insert
into table1 values (now())". I have instructed our developers to study the
possibility of generating dates from the application level. Later, we will
see how Hibernate behaves with pgpool.. Well, we are adapting our
environment to work with pgpool. You know, if it finally works, we will save
lots of money. :)

Of course, there exist another production ready solutions that cover cases
which pgpool doesn't. But they are not free, they are expensive, they are
not open, you will never have the source code, and will never have free
support. Linux/pg*world haves another philosophy. You can like it, or not..

> If pgpool-II is not ready for a production environment, please do let me
> know ... what I'm trying to implement is something that will be visible to
> the PostgreSQL community at large, and would hate to create a shadow because
> I used something that wasn't production ready :(

I wish you good luck to make your implementation "production ready" one day,
and thanks for your contribution to the community ;)

J. Carlos Muro