[Pgpool-general] PgPool install, Part Deux

J. Carlos Muro murojc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 07:52:06 UTC 2009

Hi, Marc!

2009/7/7 Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org>

> Last time I tried, something got "out of sync", ended up breaking the
> cluster and going to one DB until I had time to dive better into it, with
> two brand new servers ... so, I'm going to make attempt two at this ...

Be sure that both your nodes are a "hard copy" one of the other.
For example, use tar+gzip+cp or rsync in order to copy the whole pg-cluster
from one node to another.

First, I take it 8.4.0 as a backend isn't a problem?  I can use 8.3 if I
> have to ...

I dont know about it.. Any tests with 8.4 would be welcome..

> load_balance_mode?

>From the docs:
load_balance_mode:
When set to true, SELECT queries will be distributed to each backend for
load balance. Default is false.

So, if you want to load balance your selects do use it! :)

> replication_stop_on_mismatch?

>From the docs:
replication_stop_on_mismatch:
When set to true, pgpool-II degenerates the backends and keeps the service
only with the Master DB if data mismatch occurs. If false, pgpool-II just
terminates the query. Default is false.

AFAIU, we could say that if this option is enabled, then in case that pgpool
finds data mismatch between nodes, it will degenerate 'not master nodes', in
other words, it deactivates replication. It could be interesting for
production enviroments..

> Any other recommendations?

Read the doc again :)
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html