[Pgpool-general] pcp_attach_node problem?

Daniel.Crespo at l-3com.com Daniel.Crespo at l-3com.com
Tue Jan 6 17:50:08 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have pgpool configured with two backends.

Below is the sequence of events to reproduce the seems-to-be-a-problem:

1. [Server A] Check the status of the nodes:
[root ~]# pcp_node_info 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 0
172.20.79.163 5432 2 1073741823.500000
[root ~]# pcp_node_info 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 1
172.20.79.25 5432 2 1073741823.500000

2. [Server B] stop second backend:
service postgresql restart
Stopping postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]
Starting postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]

3. [Server A] Check the status of the nodes:
[root ~]# pcp_node_info 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 0
172.20.79.163 5432 2 1073741823.500000
[root ~]# pcp_node_info 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 1
172.20.79.25 5432 3 1073741823.500000

4. [Server A] Re-Attach node 1:
pcp_attach_node 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 1

5. [Server A] Check the status of the nodes:
[root ~]# pcp_node_info 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 0
172.20.79.163 5432 2 1073741823.500000
[root ~]# pcp_node_info 10 localhost 9898 postgres postgres 1
172.20.79.25 5432 1 1073741823.500000

6. Here comes the problem:

    6.a If I had an already opened psql console, like:
        [root ~]# psql -U postgres -p 9999

           \h for help with SQL commands
           \? for help with psql commands
           \q to quit

        postgres=#

        And issue a SQL Select command on a table, like:
            postgres=# select * from pg_stat_activity ;

        It sits there forever. Meanwhile, the status of both backends
are still 2 and 1, respectively.

        If, instead, I disconnect the psql console, and connect it
again, both statuses become 2, and then I can issue the same SQL Select,
and works just fine.

Any clue?

Thanks,
Daniel