[Pgpool-general] Idea: peer-to-peer app architecture with pgpool?

alex koalillo at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 4 23:37:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm thinking about setting up a cluster architecture for a web app. I
was thinking about running an "everything replicated on all boxes" arch.

That is, I run a couple of nodes, each with a web/app server + pgpool +
PostgreSQL. pgpool set to replicate write transactions to all nodes, but
run read queries in the local node.

This way, read-only queries do not have network overhead, yet they are
load-balanced. I can have a simple high-availability setup (just shut
off nodes).

Is this a terrible idea? Thoughts?

Alex