[Pgpool-general] [pgpool-general] load balancing for dummies

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:25:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov at systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

> so if i have an application that i want to load balance i have to
> check it all to be sure it's compatible with pgpool?

In short, yes.

> what if we simply add a new condition to load balancing, the SELECT
> statement has no volatile functions in it and make pgpool not trying
> to load balancing such SELECTs

That is unnecessary as pgpool-II already checks for volatile
components of the query and acts according to it, although it still
has its limitations. I suggest that you read the docs and start
playing with the new version 2.3:

http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html

--