[Pgpool-general] Can't make replication work, pgpool-II 2.2.3

Marcelo Martins pglists at zeroaccess.org
Wed Aug 19 15:38:04 UTC 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Asaf wrote:

> Trying to achieve replication with pgpool-II, I've gone through
> documentation and tutorials,
>
> my questions :
>

> 1. I understand that pgpool needs to be running only on one node, not
>
> all nodes ?

Correct, you could have one box dedicated for pgpool (if you like) and
then configure the pgpool backend_* settings to talk to your backend
database servers

> 2. How does pgpool authenticate ? I set parameters  such as :
> backend_hostname,
>
> but there is no params for user/password

There is a pgpool pool_hba.conf  if you wish to use that, but myself I
don't use that at all.  I only use the pgpool.conf file and that's it.
I configure my Postgresql pg_hba.conf  to allow connections coming
from the pgpool box using the "password"  authentication method.

e.g:
pgpool ip = 172.16.10.1

So my backend's pg_hba.conf would have something such as :

# pgpool1
host    all     postgres            172.16.10.1
255.255.255.255         trust
host    mydb    mydb_user           172.16.10.1
255.255.255.255         password

There is no need to set any user/password params on pgpool
configuration files

> 3. if something is wrong, why i cant see nothing in debug/log
> messages ?

Check the PG backend log you should see some sort of authentication
error when trying to use psql to connect to your DB through pgpool

How is your setup right now ?

Marcelo
PostgreSQL DBA
Linux/Solaris System Administrator