[Pgpool-general] Connection pooling and amount of connections?

Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 15:37:03 UTC 2008

Hi Chaps,

I've been trying pgpool II, and doing a few tests. At the moment I have init_children set to 500 and max pool set to 1.

I've got 5 processes running that connect to 2 databases on the target server, and they constantly connect, fetch some data for about 30 seconds and then disconnect then connect again in a loop.

Pgpool has 10 connections as expected, however the postgres server has over 200 connections from pgpool and that number is growing fast.

I guess I've missed something here - I thought the connections would be reused out of the 10 seeing as there's only the 5 clients?

Out of the 200 connections, if I try to connect in as a different user will the one of the old connections be used? If not; whats the point?

Glyn