[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II and online recovery

David Peterson david.peterson at channeladvisor.com
Tue Sep 9 13:39:38 UTC 2008

Never mind I figured it out.

________________________________

From: pgpool-general-bounces at pgfoundry.org
[mailto:pgpool-general-bounces at pgfoundry.org] On Behalf Of David
Peterson
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 11:47 AM
To: pgpool-general at pgfoundry.org
Subject: [Pgpool-general] pgpool-II and online recovery

Ok, I've read through all the documentation and threads and still can't
find any real info on how to properly setup online recovery and how it
connects to the backend Postgres servers and with what user. I've got a
simple setup, one pgpool-II (2.1) server and two backend Postgres
servers (8.3.3). For testing purposes I've setup the root user with ssh
keys so that user can connect to each backend without supplying a
password. I run the command: pcp_recovery_node 2000 server_name 9898
user pass 1 and it errors out with the following message:

2008-09-08 10:56:48 LOG:   pid 29909: starting recovering node 1

2008-09-08 10:56:48 ERROR: pid 29909: start_recover: could not connect
master node.

I've enabled debug logging for ssh on the backend postgres nodes and
don't see an attempt anywhere to connect. So my questions are these:

1)       How is the recovery_user and recovery_password used? If I set
the recovery_user to root does that mean root needs to be configured to
ssh into all the backend servers with no password or is it used in
another way?

2)       Do all the Postgres backend servers need to connect to each
other via ssh with no password as well? If so what user, whatever the
recovery_user is set to?

3)       With what user account will the backend scripts be run as
(base-backup.sh, pgpool_recovery, pgpool_remote_start) and does it know
to use the user I've defined so that it can connect to the other servers
without supplying a password?

4)       How do the $1, $2, and $3 variables get set in the
base-backup.sh script? When you run pcp_recovery_node does that command
try to set those variables or is it a manual process?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again

-- Dave