[Pgpool-general] Will PG Pool push selects to 2 servers ?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Sep 1 11:58:04 UTC 2008

Sorry for late reply. I'm slowly catching up emails...

> We have a very busy ecommerce db running PostgreSQL 8.2.5 - we want to
> analyze ALL the select activity since we have thousands of queries per
> day that are small fast queries < 300ms however we want to know how
> many of these were getting in a day and we're concerned about setting
> log_min_duration_statement = 0 on production.
>
> Can we use PG Pool to push ALL statements (including selects) to 2
> boxes, to both prod and a second analysis server?
>
> THis would allow us to set log_min_duration_statement = 0 on the
> second server.

There would be some ways to achive your objective:

1) Run pgpool in replication mode and set:

   load_balance_mode = fase
   replicate_select = true

   This will send ALL quries to the second server as well as the
   production server. The only concerns is, this might hurt the over
   all performance because of the replication overhead.

2) Run pgpool with log_statement = true. This will logs ALL queries
   sent to pgpool (and the production server).