[Pgpool-general] PGPool Install

Simone Tregnago simonetregnago at grivaonline.com
Fri Jun 27 13:42:37 UTC 2008

Mik Rose wrote:
> Hello there list members :D
>
> I was wondering if there were some step by step pgpool-II install
> instructions that list members may have come across.

Don't know, personally I found the official guide and tutorial
sufficient for my purposes

> 1. Do we have to have the databases that we wish to replicate / load-balance
> already up on all the backend servers?  E.g. Backup and restore the master's
> databases and restore on other back end's.

Don't tried yet but newest versions of PgPool-II supports online
recovery. With online recovery you can attach or detach nodes without
restarting pgpool.

> 2. Does the pgpool service have to run on all back end's? And if not does
> the pgpool database have to exist on all back end's regardless?

No. You can have one pgpool on one machine that redirect connections to
all the backends. Pgpool system database is needed for parallel query
only and, maybe I could be wrong, you have to create and connect it only
on 1 node.

> 2.  When running in cache mode only pgpool connects to the master database
> no problem,  but if I introduce a second backend and set it to replication I
> get a status 2 for both databases and both master and backend and not
> accessible.  What is status 2, authentication?

status 2 is the normal status when a backend is running.

Regards,
Simone Tregnago