[Pgpool-general] Pgpool-II and Slony-I

Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 10:01:25 UTC 2008

Hi people,

We have a setup using Slony-I that currently consists of 1 origin server with 2 subscribers.  I'd like to use pgpool to manage connections in Master/Slave Mode, however looking at the docs (http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/) theres not that much info on this.

The docs state:

"This mode is for using pgpool-II with another master/slave replication software (like Slony-I), so it really does the actual data replication. DB nodes' information must be set as the replication mode. In addtion to that, set master_slave_mode and load_balance_mode to true."

And I'm afraid I just can't get my head around exactly what I'm supposed to do from that, I could do with a little more verbose instruction.

I've tried pgpool, and just set it up in Connection Pool Mode and it works well.  I guess we could just use it in this mode, then in the case we move our set or failover we just repoint the pool.  However, the Master/Slave Mode sounds very interesting.

Is there anywhere I can get better info on setting up this mode?

Thanks
Glyn