[Pgpool-general] More questions about replication mode behavior

Sandy Thomson sandy at scotwebshops.com
Wed Feb 7 14:01:55 UTC 2007

Mark F wrote:
> 1.  If one of the nodes goes down and pgpool goes into degeneration mode,
> does pgpool go back to replication mode when the fallen node returns?
>
> 2.  If 'INSERT' transactions occured while a node was down, will pgpool load
> all 'INSERT''s that were missed while the node was down?  Is there a
> built-in function to handle this or do we have to sync the nodes ourselves?

The answer to both these questions is no. If degeneration mode occurs,
you have to basically stop all connections to the database & stop
pgpool, do a pg_dump of the newer version of the database, rebuild the
dropped node then start pgpool again.

It has happened a few times since I started using pgpool, due to a few
'SELECT nextval()'-esque custom functions. Otherwise it has been quite
reliable.

Hope this helps.

Sandy.