[Pgpool-general] PGPool and parallel query

Adonias Malosso malosso at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:37:31 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I´m developing a large database inside Brazilian Government and we are using
postgresql for about 2 years as our DBMS. Now, we are loading a lot of
finacial data (around 300 milions registers) into a dual dual core xeon with
16GB of ram and a lot of disk, running debian 64bits.

My problem is that besides all the postgresql performance adjustments, some
of our queries are taking a lot of processor time, and since postgresql is
not multithreaded our processors just wait idle while one of them reaches
100% for more than a minute.
We implemented a monthly partitioning schema, so the dataset get reduced by
some times upon the query time.

As the most complicated query is made of 3 unions, i´d like to run them in
parallel. Looking at PGPool II i´ve found the way to do parallel queries.
But, my question is:

To use and take advantage of the parallel query implementation of PGPool i
have to setup one postgresql node for each parallel execution line that i
wanna have? Is it possible to pgpool start parallel execution based on my
number of processors into the node?

Regards.
Adonias Malosso