[Pgpool-general] Switchover question

Joachim Wieland joe at mcknight.de
Wed Nov 22 12:11:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm using pgpool 3.1.1 on debian. I just want to use connection pooling and
switchover. I can switch over to the secondary backend from the command line
without problems. pgpool also switches for itself.

However it does not switch back again. Neither automatically nor manually.
So I keep trying with:

# pgpool -s master switch
2006-11-22 13:04:08 LOG:   pid 1205: switch over request sent

but no switch over back to the master happens. "show pool_status" confirms
that it is still connected to the secondary backend
(current_backend_host_name). The server_status variable shows the master as
being down though it isn't. Even if I switch manually without taking down
the master it is considered to be down.

Is pgpool supposed to switch back to the primary backend automatically at
all?

Is there some documentation out there about how the whole switchover process
should work?

Another thing: I'd also appreciate an intermediate log level. Right now
there is either no logging or too much of it. What I'd be interested in is
some logging that just tells me essential warning messages like "master
down", "no free pool slots available" and so on... Is something similar
available or in preparation?

Thanks,
Joachim