[Pgpool-general] pgpool, slony and hibernate?

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Fri Nov 3 22:36:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:11:40AM +0100, Martin Fandel wrote:
> pgpool
>
>         pros:
>         - easy to install
>         - load balancing and replication
>         - possible to replicate parts of tables to different nodes
>         - failover function
>         - really new in development i think this is a pro :)
>
>         contras:
>         - no comparing between nodes
>         - no merge replication

You forgot the biggest con: pgpool replication is statement based, which
can bite you hard and fast if you're not careful. For example, INSERT
INTO table VALUES( ..., current_timestamp, ... ) will not provide
consistent results across your replicas. This is why I generally advise
people not to use statement-based replication, at least in enterprise
settings.

Put another way, statement-based replication is much like MySQL: it
works great *if and only if* you fully understand it's limitations.
Jim Nasby                                            jim at nasby.net