[Pgpool-general] pgpool, slony and hibernate?

Martin Fandel martin.fandel at alphyra.de
Thu Nov 2 09:11:40 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've don't tested hybernate, so I only can view a short list of the
main pros/contras (for my situation, everyone has a different
environemnt an a different situation for evaluating) about slony
and pgpool.

Slony

        pros:
        - every table has a serial / pkey for comparing the nodes
        - possible to replicating parts of dbs to different nodes

        contras:
        - it's difficult in environments with many ddl changes
        - no merge replication
        - no load balancing mode!
        - no automatic failover function (must use drop node / add
        node / failover)
        - difficult with more than 2 nodes (its working fine but if
        anybody not knows what to do in a fail state, its dangerous)

pgpool

        pros:
        - easy to install
        - load balancing and replication
        - possible to replicate parts of tables to different nodes
        - failover function
        - really new in development i think this is a pro :)

        contras:
        - no comparing between nodes
        - no merge replication

Have you tried PGCluster? It's a build in replication system. I've
tested it shortly, but I think for now pgpool-II is the best solution.

All projects are very very ingenious!

Regards,

Martin