[Pgpool-general] problem to use the replication

Yoshiyuki Asaba y-asaba at sraoss.co.jp
Sat Aug 19 03:19:03 UTC 2006

From: Gary Fu <gfu at saicmodis.com>
Subject: Re: [Pgpool-general] problem to use the replication
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:12:46 -0400

> Thanks for the answer.  Where can I find the README file you referred to ?

You are welcome. README file is in pgpool tar ball.

> However, it won't work if master is md5 and secondary is "trust".

You need to consistent authentication method between master and
secondary. I seemed that authentication method was inconsistency from
your log.

> Do you know, when the md5 authentication method will be supported ?

Md5 authentication protocol is the following scenario.

client) send startup packet to backend.
backend) send md5 salt(random number) to client.
client) compute md5 hash by password and md5 salt.
client) send md5 hash to backend.

Md5 salt is random number. So it is different between master and
secondary. pgpool send master's md5 salt to client. Therefore,
master's authentication is ok, but secondary is failed.

I think this problem can't be solved :(

--
Yoshiyuki Asaba
y-asaba at sraoss.co.jp