[Pgpool-general] Suggestion for load_balancing mode

Tatsuo Ishii t-ishii at sra.co.jp
Sat May 21 04:49:41 GMT 2005

> Tatsuo,
>
> > What you are willing is a "session level load balancing". pgpool only
> > implements "statement level load balancing". I will add the "session
> > level load balancing" to my TODO list.
>
> Hmmm.  I don't understand how that currently works then.  Because I've been
> able to create and use temporary tables.  Since temp tables are
> one-session-only, how is it currently working?

Because creating temporary tables is replicated.

What I want to do by "session level load balancing" is something like
this:

1) a client which is willing to use session level load balancing
   explicitly declare it by issuing a special command or set global
   parameter in pgpool.conf

2) when the client connects to pgpool, pgpool selects one of the two
   servers to deal with the client.

3) the client sends SQL to pgpool and pgpool forwards it to the
   selected PostgreSQL server

4) repeat 3) until the client disconnects