[Pgpool-general] Suggestion for load_balancing mode

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Sat May 21 03:36:17 GMT 2005

Tatsuo,

> What you are willing is a "session level load balancing". pgpool only
> implements "statement level load balancing". I will add the "session
> level load balancing" to my TODO list.

Hmmm.  I don't understand how that currently works then.  Because I've been
able to create and use temporary tables.  Since temp tables are
one-session-only, how is it currently working?

> BTW, why you don't use Slony-I for replicatin?

A number of reasons:
1) Our data-load routine requires us to turn of replication and do binary sync
every night.

2) Slony doesn't handle temp tables, either.

3) One of the things we need to replicate during the day are temporary "load
tables" holding raw data.  These tables have no primary keys, and adding
primary keys (due to the constraint) significantly increases load time.

4) Our data loads are often in the order of 3 million records at a go.  Slony
performs poorly with such large bulk loads.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions