[Pgpool-general] Meaning of connection_life_time?

Tatsuo Ishii t-ishii at sra.co.jp
Wed Mar 2 12:11:11 GMT 2005

> I'm trying to figure out the exact meaning of the connection_life_time
> parameter.

After client disconnect to pgpool (that means the connection to
backend becomes idle) and if any other client does not reuse the
connection within connection_life_time seconds, the connection to
backend will be closed.

>  It is described as "life time for each idle connection", but in
> testing I also see connections being expired that have not been idle for the
> specified time.  In the debug output I do see the alarm being reset every
> time a query is run,

Oh, that should not happen. Could you provide me a log showing that
behavior?

>  and these two observations are not really consistent.
> Can anyone clarify the meaning of this parameter? Does it simply kill the
> connection after a specified time, or does the connection have to be unused
> for the specified time, or something else?

I couldn't reproduce the problem you are facing. Could you show me an
example test case?