[Pgpool-general] Meaning of connection_life_time?

Peter Eisentraut peter_e at gmx.net
Wed Mar 2 10:37:27 GMT 2005

I'm trying to figure out the exact meaning of the connection_life_time
parameter.  It is described as "life time for each idle connection", but in
testing I also see connections being expired that have not been idle for the
specified time.  In the debug output I do see the alarm being reset every
time a query is run, and these two observations are not really consistent.
Can anyone clarify the meaning of this parameter? Does it simply kill the
connection after a specified time, or does the connection have to be unused
for the specified time, or something else?