[Pgpool-general] pgpool crash in realloc on freebsd

Tatsuo Ishii t-ishii at sra.co.jp
Fri Jul 8 02:41:17 GMT 2005

> > It seems realloc tried to allocate 1009742944 bytes of memory. Of
> > course this should not happen. I think the cause of this was a broken
> > packet arrives from the frontend.
> >
> > > #8  0x08051910 in SimpleForwardToFrontend (kind=48 '0',
> > frontend=0x8071000,
> >
> > There's no such a packet (kind = '0') according the PostgreSQL
> > docs. What kind of frontend are you using?
>
> I'm using PHP compiled with Postgres client library version 7.4.1.  No real
> oddball setup, everything is unmodified from PHP and Postgres distributions.
> Some queries have relatively large sets of data returned from server ->
> client (possibly as much as 1MB), but nothing approaching the ~962 Mb number
> above.
>
> Queries are all SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE.  I wish I could go into more detail,
> but I'm very unfamiliar with the Postgres Client<->Server Protocol.

Ok. So actually the protocol is handled by libpq on the frontend side,
that means the frontend side should be fine.

Recently someone from Japan has pointed out a problem with pgpool on
FreeBSD. I have put fixed version of pgpool on:

http://www2b.biglobe.ne.jp/~caco/pgpool/tmp/pgpool-2.6.tar.gz

Could you please try it out?