[Pgpool-general] pgpool crash in realloc on freebsd

Jason Coene jcoene at gotfrag.com
Fri Jul 8 01:50:09 GMT 2005

> It seems realloc tried to allocate 1009742944 bytes of memory. Of
> course this should not happen. I think the cause of this was a broken
> packet arrives from the frontend.
>
> > #8  0x08051910 in SimpleForwardToFrontend (kind=48 '0',
> frontend=0x8071000,
>
> There's no such a packet (kind = '0') according the PostgreSQL
> docs. What kind of frontend are you using?

I'm using PHP compiled with Postgres client library version 7.4.1.  No real
oddball setup, everything is unmodified from PHP and Postgres distributions.
Some queries have relatively large sets of data returned from server ->
client (possibly as much as 1MB), but nothing approaching the ~962 Mb number
above.

Queries are all SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE.  I wish I could go into more detail,
but I'm very unfamiliar with the Postgres Client<->Server Protocol.

Thanks,

Jason