[pgpool-hackers: 4415] Re: Why pgpool.conf value of recovery_user is set to 'nobody'?

Sadhuprasad Patro b.sadhu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:36:06 JST 2024

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 11:19 AM Bo Peng <pengbo at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that it's just a question, so please post it to
> pgpool-general at pgpool.net rather than pgpool-hackers at pgpool.net.
> This ML is basically used for development purpose such as feature discussion.
>
> > > Wish you all a Very Happy New Year...
> > >
> > > Few parameters like recover_user, wd_lifecheck_user &
> > > health_check_user0, in PgPool.conf file have default value as
> > > 'nobody'. But in the code, the same has been set to zero-length
> > > character string or NULL string...
> > >
> > > Why is it like this? Is there any specific reason?
>
> Could you please point out where is the code?

[sadhuprasad at localhost bin]$ ./psql --port=9999 -d postgres -c "PGPOOL
SHOW recovery_user"
 recovery_user
---------------

(1 row)

[sadhuprasad at localhost bin]$ ./psql --port=9999 -d postgres -c "PGPOOL
SHOW wd_lifecheck_user"
 wd_lifecheck_user
-------------------
 nobody
(1 row)

>From "pgpool.conf.sample", we can see, the recovery_user parameter
default value is 'nobody':

# ONLINE RECOVERY

#recovery_user = 'nobody'
                                   # Online recovery user

So there is a mismatch in default values mentioned in pgpool.conf file
and SHOW recovery_user output.

> I think the default values of "wd_lifecheck_user" and "health_check_user" are "nobody",
> and the default value of "recovery_user" is "".

Yes, but I think we should have all default values as NULL String.
Because 'nobody' also may be a user name :-)

I am fixing to make NULL string as default values for all three
parameters, "recovery_user", "wd_lifecheck_user" &
"health_check_user".
Seeking an opinion here...

Thanks & Regards
SADHU PRASAD