[pgpool-hackers: 4317] Re: Proposal: Option to disable PCP Process logging

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Apr 14 16:14:37 JST 2023

Hi Maximilien,

> Thank you for the patch! I will look into this.
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I created a patch to add a new parameter, log_pcp_processes.
>>
>> The default is on and can be set to off. Setting the value off will
>> disable the logging of PCP Process forks and exit messages when the
>> status code is SUCCESS / 0.
>>
>> The main reason for this proposition is our current deployment is
>> using frequent commands to monitor the current state of the cluster,
>> generating a lot of log entries. The current logging cannot be set
>> using the log level, since we would like to keep warnings and errors,
>> and those messages are emitted to the greater 'LOG' level.
>>
>> Since there is even a FAQ entry and other messages floating around
>> with a Google search, this may also be useful to others ^^'
>>
>> By default, the logging is not changed, this shouldn't be a disruptive
>> change.
>>
>> A patch is attached, but is missing Japanese documentation since this
>> was out of my skills :).
>
> No problem at all. Japanese docs will be prepared by other developers.
>
>> I would be happy to make any changes
>> required, e.g. I'm not sure about the name of the setting.

+     <para>
+      Setting to off, disable logging about normal PCP Process
+      fork and exit statues. Default is on.
+     </para>

I think "Setting to off" is a little hard to understand for users
because it will be easier for users to understand what happens when a
parameter is on.

Attached is a v2 patch including the change for the sentence above.
(one error was also fixed: 0001-Add-log_pcp_processes-option.patch:117: trailing whitespace.)
Japanese doc is included too.

What do you think?
SRA OSS LLC