[pgpool-hackers: 3815] Re: Proposal: language cleanup in Pgpool-II

Umar Hayat m.umarkiani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:28:36 JST 2020

Hi Tatsuo Ishii,
Thanks for review. Please see comments inline:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi Umar,
>
> Thank you for the patch! That must be a hard work.
>
> Here are some comments:
>
> (1) I got some whitespace errors while applying patches.
>
> ../language_fixes/v1-001-blackwhite-to-redgreen.diff:978: trailing
> whitespace.
>      Add new parameter <xref linkend="guc-red-query-pattern-list"> to
> enable
> ../language_fixes/v1-002-Watchdog-master-leader.diff:4417: trailing
> whitespace.
> # test if leader and backend goes down at same time Pgpool-II behaves as
> expected
> ../language_fixes/v1-007-follow_master-and-recovery-and-misc.diff:13476:
> trailing whitespace.
>
> ../language_fixes/v1-007-follow_master-and-recovery-and-misc.diff:13488:
> trailing whitespace.
>
> warning: 4 lines add whitespace errors.
>
> I will fix them in next patch.

> > Hi Team,
> > Attached patches for inclusive language for pgpool. please find few
> details
> > about each patch bellow:
> > v1-001-blackwhite-to-redgreen
> >   Replace black with red and white with green for white_function_list,
> > black_function_list, black_query_pattern, white_memqcache_table_list,
> > black_memqcache_table_list
>
> Replacing to red and green is a little bit confusing to me. What
> about denylist/allowlist? It's suggested by Linux.
>
> Yes, I read few Linux related articles and few other sources
too. denylist/allowlist is used for decision where we either allow or deny.
In our case, based on mutability factor we decide whether we should send
query to primary or standby. So in-fact we are not blocking queries.
IMO we can use
1. deny/allow ( e.g allow_function_list, deny_function_list,
allow_query_pattern, allow_memqcache_table_list, deny_memqcache_table_list)
?
2. or descriptive term like mutable/immutable & safe/unsafe based on pgpool
usage ( e.g. mutable_function_list, immutable_function_list,
safe_query_pattern, safe_memqcache_table_list, unsafe_memqcache_table_list
) ?