[pgpool-hackers: 3526] Re: Refactoring running mode in Pgpool-II

Umar Hayat m.umarkiani at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:26:28 JST 2020

Yes, Its would be a nice feature and it would create more clarity in
configuration. Few comments/suggests.
1.
To me "running_mode" seems bit generic, and it might be confusing whether
its is something related to how pgpool application was started ( like we
have pgpool -m smart/fast/etc ),
We might have same feature of 'pgpool start' as well (
headless/light/integrated etc. )

Instead of 'running_mode' we can have 'replication_setup' or
'replication_setup_mode'  with following value:
streaming
logical
native
slony
raw

2.
Just an idea, we should develop this in extensibility in mind. In feature,
if we have some new kind of replication mode, pgpool should be able to
accommodate it with minimum changes ( or my be user can provide their own
replication mode somehow, like we have memcached extensibility )

Regards
Umar Hayat
Principal Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com