[pgpool-hackers: 2594] Load-balancing control for specific queries

Yugo Nagata nagata at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Nov 10 15:14:02 JST 2017

Hi Pgpool-II developers,

One of our clients wants a new feature that force specific
queries to be sent to the primary rather than load-balancing.

Even though we can do this by adding the /*NO LOAD BALANCE*/ comment
to queries, this requires modifying application codes and
this is not always possible.

We can think of at least two possible designs for this feature.

(1) Defining blacklist

Like black_function_list, specifying queries not to be load-balanced.

(2) Specifiying desitination nodes

Like database_redirect_preference_list, specify pairs of queries and node id
(or primary/standby).

In both cases, the target queries can be specified by regexp pettern or tables
included in the queries. (The client's preference is using regexp.)

How about introducing this new feature for Pgpool-II 3.8?

Regards,
--
Yugo Nagata <nagata at sraoss.co.jp>